- Nordic theme featuring classic Gods and warriors
- Progressive features offer an engaging way to earn extra rewards
- A very similar game to the popular Thunderstruck II
Asgard slot by RTG is a brand new addition to their slot portfolio which uses a theme based on Norse mythology to entice players. This is hardly surprising given the success of the latest Marvel movies which include characters such as Thor, Odin and Loki. These beings are powerful Gods that reside in Asgard under their ruler Odin. It’s worth noting that Asgard slot does not base itself on the Marvel franchise, however, so don’t expect the same types of graphics or even characters to feature. Instead, this slot bases itself more on the traditional Nordic mythology originally from Germany and is likely using this opportunity with the release of big blockbuster movies to generate higher interest.
Moving on to the graphics, while they’re not necessarily bad I wouldn’t say they’re anything special for a 2018 slot. What’s perhaps most noticeable though about Asgard slot is how similar it looks to Thunderstruck II by Microgaming. This is, of course, one of their biggest slots and still is hugely popular. It looks like RTGhave decided to mimic the slot in order to replicate their success. And it goes beyond just the design, even some of the gameplay seems to me to be a direct copy such as the progressive unlock bonus and the wild feature. This is very disappointing because even though Thunderstruck II is a great slot, it would be nice to see something more original.
The aim of the game is to get a winning combination using the base symbols from left to right to win money or bonuses, baring in mind that this is a 243 ways to win game. These base symbols are listed as follows, ranked in ascending order based on their value:
- 9 or 10 of a kind
- Queen or Jack of a kind
- King or Ace of a kind
- Thor’s Hammer
Asgard Slot Bonuses and Features
Thunderbolt Feature. On any random spin, this feature can be triggered and will convert up to 5 reels into wilds before pays are awarded.
Free Games Features. This is triggered by 3 or more scattered Bonus symbols which can appear on any normal base spin, awarding one of 4 features. These features are unlocked progressively after a certain number of triggers (just like Thunderstruck II).
- Goddess Feature. This is unlocked from the first trigger onwards, and awards 15 free games with every prize tripled in value, and the feature can also be retriggered.
- Loki’s Magic. This next feature is unlocked from the 5th trigger onwards, and awards 20 free games with Wild added to reel 3, substituting for all symbols in a winning combination apart from scatters and golden wild. It randomly replaces symbols on up to 5 reels when it appears. If 2, 3, 4 or 5 bonus symbols appear during the free games, an additional 1, 2, 3 or 4 extra free games will be added, respectively. Note that scatters are counted before any extra wild symbols are added to the reels.
- Thunder God Feature. For some reason, they haven’t used the name Thor here despite calling Loki by his name, so I presume they weren’t allowed to but it’s quite clearly supposed to be Thor with his hammer. This feature is unlocked from the 10th trigger onwards, awarding 25 free games with wild multipliers. When any all ways pays win occurs, a 2x and/or 3x wild multiplier will overlay random symbols on reel 2, 3 or 4. These count towards any symbol apart from scatters and golden wilds. The 2x and 3x wilt multipliers cumulatively multiply wins by 2 and 3, respectively. If they overlay a golden wild, wins including the golden wild will be multiplied by 4 or 6, respectively. If retriggered, an extra 5 free games will be added.
- Valhalla Feature. This final feature is unlocked from the 15th trigger onwards, offering 30 free games with morphing symbols, where new symbols appear in the morphed positions offering potentially bigger rewards. This continues after each win until no winning combinations occur. A prize multiplier also builds up for successive wins from the same original spin, with prizes being 2x in the first morph and 5x in the 4th or better morph. Any retrigger will add 8 extra free games.
To summarize Asgard slot, I would say it’s impressive and that I really like the gameplay, with the progressive features making the game a lot of fun and potentially very rewarding. The theme is also good, and I can see why they have timed it to be released now. The main issue though is the fact that this slot and Thunderstruck II are incredibly similar. They have a very similar theme (OK, there are a lot of Nordic-based slots I suppose like Hall of Gods slot), but the design is almost the same including the colour scheme and characters, and the gameplay is almost identical too. In short, I’m sure you will enjoy this slot but as a close copy to Thunderstruck II slot, it’s hard for me to give it much praise.