- An excellent selection of bonuses that can offer good rewards
- Fun gameplay that’s original and helps set the slot apart
- Strange theme with fairly poor graphics let the game down a bit
Wishwood slot is brought to you by IGT and offers an interesting design with some fun gameplay. The first thing you’ll notice about the game is the relatively unusual theme which I guess is based on the fairies that are supposed to live in the woods and toadstools but it’s not the most attractive design and the fairy thing is pretty ugly. It’s certainly not as good looking as other slots with similar themes such as Wish Upon a Jackpot slot which we’ve also reviewed.
Unfortunately, the graphics in Wishwood slot don’t really help either. The detail is pretty basic and the whole display looks quite pixelated which is pretty disappointing. IGT usually offer very visually compelling games so it’s quite strange why this one isn’t up to their usual standards. Fortunately though, the slot really does shine when it comes to the gameplay. There’s a lot on offer here with a really nice selection of bonuses but I’ll come onto those later. The basic aim is to get a winning combination using the base symbols from left to right. These are listed as follows, ranked in ascending order based on their value:
- 10 or Jack (lowest value)
- Queen or King
- Wild (highest value)
Wild not only serves as the highest value symbol in the game but also substitutes for all other symbols in a winning combination apart from the Bonus symbol.
Wishwood Slot Bonuses and Features
Tangled Symbols Feature. This can occur on any base game spin, where winning combination will lock into place and the reels will spin once more. New wins will also lock into place, continuing to do so until no new wins appear.
Mystery Picker. This feature can be triggered on any base game spin when 3 wisps appear in front of the reels. Choose one of these to reveal one of the following:
- Wispy Wilds Feature. A simple feature where up to 4 Wild symbols can appear on the reels to increase your chance of getting a win.
- Magic Multipliers Feature. Here either 3 or 4 of the following multipliers can appear between the reels: 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x or 10x.
Additionally, the Mystery Picker could also take you to the Bonus Climb.
Bonus Climb. This is triggered by either 3 Bonus symbols appearing on reels 1, 3 and 5, through the Mystery Picker as already mentioned, or with Poa kicking the reels if only 2 Bonus symbols appear in order to reveal a third Bonus symbol. You will be presented with a wheel which will determine how far up the tree Poa will climb. Some segments of the wheel have numbers which indicate how many branches up the tree she will climb, an up arrow segment will move Poa to the next section of the tree and a tick segment will end the Bonus Climb triggering the corresponding bonus or multiplier. This could either be the Top of the Tree Bonus if Poa has managed to reach branch 11, Enchanted Wilds Bonus if she reaches branches 7-10, Amber Wilds Bonus for branches 3-6 or, if Poa ends on branch 0-2, you will be awarded 10x total bet:
- Amber Wilds Bonus. You will be granted 7 free spins and the Wild symbols will become sticky until they are part of a win.
- Enchanted Wilds Bonus. This will initially grant you 5 free spins. A Wood symbol in any position on reels 2, 3 or 4 will fill in a circle next to a symbol at the top left of the bonus screen. When all wisps are filled next to a symbol, it becomes Wild and awards 5 extra free spins. If all symbols are already Wild, 3 additional wisps will award another 5 free spins.
- Top of the Tree Bonus. This is the most valuable bonus, awarding 8 free spins. You must choose a special symbol, Owl, Squirrel or Butterfly, and after each spin, these symbols will expand vertically so that they fill the reel giving you a good chance of getting some nice wins.
You can see that there’s quite a lot going on with Wishwood slot and actually I think it’s a pretty great game. I always appreciate a slot that has taken the time to add some interesting bonuses and IGT have certainly done that here, tying them in nicely to the theme and also making them fairly rewarding. I’m not a huge fan of the design itself, the graphics are mediocre and it’s just a little bit weird to be honest, but at least it stands out from the crowd I suppose. All in all, a fun game that has a lot to offer and is certainly worth trying out.