Bookies Self Exclusion
- Self-exclude from all bookies in your area
- Phone 0800 294 2060 to self-exclude from all bookies for a minimum of 12 months
- Self-exclude from individual betting shops for up to 5 years
Bookies self-exclusion is the process of removing yourself from one or more betting shop premises to limit your gambling. Ideally suited to those with a gambling problem on the betting terminals, the bookies self-exclusion covers the entire shop, chain of shops, or an area with the same chain. To remove yourself from other shops, you will have to self-exclude yourself from them individually, or by using the phone number mentioned below.
The process of bookies self-exclusion is very simple, and is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. If gambling is becoming an issue for you, simply ask the shop worker for a bookies self-exclusion form. Although you cannot take the self-exclusion form away with you, the process of completing it is very simple and will take only a few minutes. You will however need a passport sized photograph in most cases. The photo is used for their records so other staff know that you excluded yourself from the betting shop and are no longer permitted to play the betting terminals or place any bets.
This blog post covers bookies self-exclusion, although you can self-exclude yourself from any gambling premises in the United Kingdom, this includes bingo halls and amusement arcades. The process is the same for all of them, although the forms may look slightly different.
When you ask for a bookies self-exclusion form, normal details like your name, date of birth and photo will be required, additionally you can choose to be self-excluded from an individual betting shop, or the chain of shops in the area, plus the choice on the amount of time to be self-excluded, from 6 months up to 5 years. It is a legal requirement that the staff are trained appropriately, so do not feel nervous when asking for and filling in the bookies self-exclusion form.
The minimum amount of time you can self-exclude yourself for is 6 months, up to a maximum of 5 years, although if you have a gambling problem you should certainly choose the longest option.
Although the bookies have a responsibility to prevent you from entering the premises, it is ultimately up to you to stay away. If you enter a premises you have self-excluded yourself from, any gambling funds that you have deposited may be retained, and you will be asked to leave immediately.
As with most high streets, there will be several betting shop chains. The forms only work for individual business; Ladbrokes for example (update: you can now self-exclude from an entire area at the same time). If you have a gambling problem, there is no point in excluding yourself from Ladbrokes whilst allowing yourself to play in the William Hill directly opposite. Take your time to exclude yourself from all of the individual business for the maximum amount of time. It won’t take long, and will be worth it in the long run.
Self-Exclusion, how it works
- To talk to some about self-exclusion from more than one bookmaker in your area, call: 0800 294 2060
- The opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9am until 6pm. You may also leave a message and they will call you back.
- You will be asked to provide a recent and clear colour photograph.
- Using this scheme, the self-exclusion is for a minimum of 12 months and will extend by a further 6 months unless you make contact to request otherwise.
- As part of the self-exclusion, you must agree not to enter any of the shops that you have asked to be excluded from.
- If you do enter any of the shops and are recognised by any member of staff, you will be asked to leave immediately.
- If you do breach your exclusion, any bets will not be refunded.
Bookies Self-Exclusion from an Entire Area
If you travel a lot for work, and frequent other towns, localised self-exclusion may not work for you. The bookies will allow you to exclude yourself from an area, so for example, you may ban yourself from all Ladbrokes within a 5 mile radius.
Once you are self-excluded, you can continue your days more productively and spend your money on more important things. Have a look at the GamCare website for more details on problem gambling.
Bookies Self-Exclusion Key Points
- Do not feel ashamed to self-exclude yourself, even if you are a regular in the betting shop.
- Ban yourself from all of the bookies in the area, there is no point in just one if there are two or more in your town.
- Exclude yourself for the maximum of 5 years
- Visit GamCare
Online casinos have a self-exclusion process, and although there are a lot of them, once blocked, you will struggle to gamble online again. The majority of self-exclusion forms for online casinos are linked to in the footer of their websites. If you can’t find the link, open the chat or email and ask them that way.
Regulated casinos are required to block your account should you wish to self-exclude.
For individual bookies self-exclusion, the phone numbers are as follows:
Betfred: 0800 032 0878
Coral: 0800 169 0299
William Hill: 0800 169 3352
Ladbrokes: 0800 731 6191
Paddy Power: 08000 565 275
Jennings: 0800 089 8887
Corbett: 0845 029 1366
Chisholm: 01670 841 106